A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Undefined offset: 0

Filename: controllers/registry_information.php

Line Number: 12

School of Management, Mae Fah Luang University| Home

Information for International Applicants

Visa and entry information

International students will need to wait for the Confirmation of Acceptance of Admission letter from MFU in order to apply for a Non-immigrant ED (Education) Visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country. Most embassies require a certain amount of time for this process, so please keep this in mind. This visa may be extended once you have begun studying. DO NOT enter Thailand on a Tourist or a Transit Visa expecting to be able to simply change to an Education Visa once already here. Changing from a Tourist Visa to an Education Visa requires a trip to the Immigration Department in Bangkok, taking along your official MFU documentation. Tourist or Transit Visas cannot be extended over the entire duration of your period of study. The International Affairs Division will provide the necessary information and assistance when you need to extend your visa or apply for a reentry permit. More detailed information is available here: http://www.mfu.ac.th/division/inter/visa.php

When you arrive

Arriving for the first time in a foreign country can be a bit daunting, especially considering any language limitations or lack of travel experience. For these reasons we can arrange to meet you at the Mae Fah Luang Chiang Rai International Airport (CEI) or the Chiang Rai Provincial Bus Interchange upon request. The International Affairs Division is happy to provide services you may require in getting set up for the first period of your stay at MFU, this may include arranging transport to the local shopping centres to purchase bedding materials or providing a campus tour. If there is anything you need help with, anything at all, please let us know!


All international students are guaranteed dormitory rooms on campus for their first year of study at MFU. Dormitory rooms include two single sized bunk-beds and mattresses (Not including bedding), four study desks, four clothes wardrobes, an en suite bathroom with heated water and a ceiling fan. Rooms will be cleaned thoroughly before the new students arrive. The application for accommodation form will be sent along with your acceptance letter to MFU. Private off campus dormitories are available, but only for students in their second year of study and higher, as it is compulsory for all first year students to live on campus. The range of private accommodation and their prices vary widely. MFU does not recommend for international students to live off campus, as it makes access to university support services and learning resources much more difficult and requires one’s own personal transport.


All international students are invited to attend the international student orientation before the start of semester. The orientation will follow the ‘How to Live and Learn’ activities organised by the University for all new students. The ‘How to Live and Learn’ activities last one week before the start of semester.

Social events

Throughout the year, the International Affairs Division arranges several social, entertainment and cultural activities to help you make the most of your time and relax during the academic year. We also offer trips and city tours to all new international students, so keep posted and be ready to join in! Examples of such activities are: MFU’s Got Talent Competition, International Food Festivals, Celebrations of International Independence Days, Special tours of Chiang Rai and ASEAN Cultural Festivals. The best way to follow what’s going on is through the International Affairs Division’s Facebook, so please add us: http://www.facebook.com/inter.mfu

Working in Thailand

Students studying in Thailand on a Non-immigrant ED (Education) Visa are NOT eligible to receive a Work Permit, therefore it is illegal to work while studying in Thailand.